Super Mazembe's Biography
- Category: Biographies
- Created on Wednesday, 30 December 2009 15:12
- Hits: 3730
Their biggest hit was "Shauri Yako", a cover song originally performed by Nguashi Ntimbo & Festival Du Zaire. Other popular songs included "Samba", "Bwana Nipe Pesa" and "Kassongo". The group was disbanded in 1985.
Super Mazembe is considered as one of the golden era of Kenyan Lingala music acts alongside Les Mangelepa, Baba Gaston and Samba Mapangala.
Like many East African and Congolese groups, Super Mazembe experienced constant line-up changes. Some of its members were:
* Mutonkole Longwa Didos (vocals)
* Lovy Longomba (vocals) - Left the band in 1981 and formed groups "Super Lovy" and later "Bana Likasi". He died in 1996. Lovy is son of Vicky Longomba and brother of Awilo Longomba, both famous Congolese musicians. Lovy's sons Christian and Lovi have formed Longombas, today a popular hip hop group in Kenya.
* Kassongo Wa Kanema (vocals) -Left the band in early 80'a and joined Orchestra Virunga.
* Loboko Bua Mangala (guitar)
* Kilambe Katele Aley (vocals)
* Bukasa wa Bukasa "Bukalos" (lead guitar) - Died 1989
* Kayembe Miketo (guitar) -Died 1991
* Mwanza wa Mwanza Mulunguluke (bass guitar)
* Komba Kassongo Songoley (guitar) - Died 1990
* Kitenge Ngoi wa Kitombole (drums)
* Musa Olokwiso Mangala
* Atia Jo (Frederick Mulunguluke Mwanza) (bass guitar) - Died 2006
* Mazembe (1980)
* 10th Anniversary (1981)
* Double Gold (1982)
* Kaivaska, (1982) - Virgin Records
* Wabe-Aba (1984)
* Their Greatest Hits (1986)
* Maloba D' Amor (1990) - DiscAfrique
* Hits of Mazembe vol. 4
* Giants of East Africa (2001) - Earthworks/Stern's Music.