In the past few weeks, you may have noticed Ghafla! taking advantage of our marketing channels to announce a 'revolutionary online xperience coming soon.'
Yes, you heard right, Ghafla! is now one of those sites that places of work are being forced to restrict!
Top tech blogger Moses Kemibaro was priviledged to be given a list of the top 150 Kenyan websites by an Opera Mini representative. The data counts unique visitors from Kenya to certain websites via the Opera Mini browser in the month of August 2012. It is dominated by news, jobs, education and government-related websites. When it came to local entertainment websites, Ghafla! held the top position by far. Overall, we were ranked number 15 in Kenya. Here is the list in full:
(the adjacent numbers represent unique visitors on Opera Mini in August 2012)
According to Alexa.com, a website traffic monitoring tool, these are the top 10 locally created websites in Kenya:
1. nation.co.ke: they've held this crown for the longest time. Understandable, as they are the oldest media house in Kenya.
2. standardmedia.co.ke: the leading Kenyan tabloid.
3. mocality.co.ke: looks like their hundred million shilling ad campain worked out in the end.
4. orange.co.ke: probably as a result of their internet subscribers being directed onto this page as they log in.
5. olx.co.ke: formerly dealfish.co.ke
6. safaricom.co.ke: see orange above.
7. capitalfm.co.ke: they consistently mention their website on their radio station.
8. rupu.co.ke: seems Kenyans have taken to this daily deals thing.
9. kenyan-post.com: fiction writers extraordinaire.
10. ghafla.co.ke: Kenya's leading entertainment news website.
After less than a year since rebranding from Kenyanlyrics.com to Ghafla! I must say to come this far has been a stellar effort. Kudos to the team(Kone Sekou, Chege Miati, Jeff Omondi, Adam Wagwau, Uncle Chim, Mr. Majani and Lewis M. Kaburu) investors(Nailab, 88mph) friends, family and supporters for bringing us to where we are now.
Our morning was brightened up by one of the budding and youngest radio presenter/comedian/actor at our offices.
Today we recognize the efforts of the newest member of Team Ghafla!, Chimwani Obiajulu. This will sound like a self-promotion piece but like they say game recognize game and here at Ghafla!