RACISM OVERWHELMS RELEASE OF FILM YET TO PREMIERE IN NAIROBITuesday, 27 March 2012 15:41 , Written by Kevin Oyugi
The Hunger Games had its global release this past weekend, and amassed in excess of $153 million according to the Internet Movie Database, making it the third highest grossing film EVER on the American box office.
The film, directed by Gary Ross is based on the novel by Suzanne Collins and the synopsis goes something like this:
'In a not-too-distant future, North America has collapsed, weakened by drought, fire, famine, and war to be replaced by Panem, a country divided into the Capitol and 12 districts. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal intimidation of the subjugated districts, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem.
The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors, literally, with all citizens required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss' young sister, Prim, is selected as the mining district's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, will be pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives.'
The Hunger Games, set to premiere in Kenya at Fox Theatres on the 13th of April 2012, is already raising eyebrows from racists across Europe and America, surrounding assumptions they had made about a character in the book, namely Rue, played by Amandla Stenberg.
In the book, Suzanne Collins described Katniss (the lead character) seeing Rue as 'of dark brown skin' but readers and fans did not anticipate that the casting would result in an African American takign the slot. In case you don't know who Amandla Stenberg is, she played the little 'Zoe Saldana' in Colombiana.
An overwhelming number of movie goers took to social media platforms out raged that 'a black girl was cast' with such remarks as 'the movie being ruined' for them.
Top 5 TV Stories This Week
- 10 Most Beautiful Ladies In Kenya. Huddah Monroe Featured Somewhere. Do You Agree With This List? (Photos)
- Mwanaisha Chidzuga's Daughter Is The Spitting Image Of Her Dad Danson Mungatana (Photos)
- Forget Campus Divas For Rich Men And Check Out Nairobi Cougar Lounge Where Young Men Are Paid 15,000 A Week To Bang A Mummy
- Eldoret Matatu Makes A Fool Out Of Vera Sidika. See What They Did (Photo)
- Here Are The 5 TV Sirens Who Wow Audiences With Their Beauty And Brains But Are Not Given The Hype They Deserve